Saturday, April 6, 2013

L&D Scare!!

Tuesday, March 26th ended up being a pretty scary day for hubby and I.  It started out pretty normal with me at work as usual.  I had been at court most of the day, just sitting, so nothing even really stressful or strenuous.  All of a sudden, I got up off the bench and had a really strong pain in my lower abdomen.  At first I just thought it was a round ligament pain as I have had a lot of those.  Then, it continued longer than normal.  I walked to my car and the pain eventually began to subside.

I drove back to my office, walked in, and when I sat down, it happened again.  I was thinking "dang!  I really must have pulled something!".   But, the pain lasted a while again.  Finally I decided I must just need to go to the bathroom.  I got up to go to the bathroom and it happened again.  I bent over in pain and couldn't breathe.  I knew this was not normal.  I know it wasn't close contractions or even consistent but in the last 45 minutes that had happened 3 times and I was not quite 31 weeks and it was too early to meet these babies!!

I called my OB and they wanted me to come in right away.  Of course, being at work, I am over an hour away from my hospital.  I told them I thought I could drive but they wouldn't let me.  Also, due to being so far away, they were thinking they may want me to go to a hospital up by work.  That's when I really started to freak out.  There weren't good hospitals up there.  There was no good NICU up there.  I needed to get to MY hospital.  Finally they told me I could go straight to my hospital (not the doctor's office) as long as someone else drove me.  So.... off I went!!

We got to L&D and they started checking things.  Both babies were hooked up to a monitor and were thankfully doing well.  They started monitoring my contractions and sure enough, I was really having contractions.  They checked my urine and of course, I had slight signs of infection.  I had an ultrasound to check my cervix and that's when I got scared.  My cervix should have been measuring between 3-4cm.  My cervix was only measuring between 7-8mm......  Thankfully they checked for dilation and if anything I was only a fingertip. But, due to the contractions and short cervix they chose to admit me.  Cue meltdown.  I was just seen the week prior and EVERYTHING WAS FINE!

I was terrified.  It was too early to meet these babies.  I didn't want anything to happen to them.  What did I do wrong? All these crazy thoughts going through my head!

Once admitted, I got hooked up to a magnesium drip for 48 hours.  Let me tell you... that stuff is BRUTAL.  Of course you can't get up and go to the bathroom while on the mag.  Thankfully I was able to use a bedside potty instead of a catheter but still sucked.  Then, the babies have to stay on the heart monitors the whole time you are on the mag.  Have you ever had a NST?  Have you ever had a NST for 48 hours with TWO babies??  My babies literally RAN from the monitors.  They hated it.  My little man more so than his sister.  He would get in a position and repeatedly kick where the monitors were and try and get out from under them.  To say they weren't cooperating the best is an understatement.  So for 48 hours, I had to lay on my back, as still as I could, while feeling like utter crap, so the babies could be monitored as well.  It was absolutely miserable.  THEN, I also had to get a shot of morphine to help relax my uterus because I was still contracting.  At one point I had one of the worst contractions that was 5 1/2 minutes long...  Let's just say I got a taste of what labor is going to be like.  The good thing was that the mag did slow my contractions to practically a stop, and it gave me time to get 2 steroid shots to help develop the babies' lungs. 

After all that, contractions stopped, babies continued looking great on their monitors the whole time (that they weren't wiggling off the monitors), and steroid shots were in, so I got released!!  Unfortunately, now that means I am at home on bed rest.  I can go to the bathroom and take a shower, that's all!!  I'm a go, go, go, kind of girl, and not one to just sit around doing nothing.  So, this is quite the adjustment for me.  Thankfully, my grandma just moved up here so when hubby is at work, grandma is here to help me out as well and that makes passing the time sooo much better!

So for now, I will see the MFM and OB both every week.  At the OB they will do a NST every time to check on the babies.  At the MFM they will do an ultrasound every time to check on babies and their fluids to make sure all continues to look well on them. 

My MFM is awesome!  He was so supportive, encouraging, and straight forward at my last appointment that it really helped ease my fears.  I have basically been told that yes, right now is too early for the babies, but at this point, all babies are doing is growing and if they came right now, they would have some NICU time but likely no long term effects of prematurity.  He also bribed me, LOL.  He gives his patients a bronze coin for making to 28 weeks, a silver coin for making it to 32 weeks, and a gold coin for making it to 36 weeks.  He told me he fully expects me to hang in there until 36 weeks or I don't get my gold coin!

My OB also informed me that at this point, I have already received the steroid shots and I am far enough along that they will not stop labor next time.  So.... next time I have contractions or something... it's the real deal.  I will be holding my babies in my arms very soon!!

1 comments:

Kim said...

I'm glad they were able to stop the contractions. Hopefully, you'll be rich - with a gold coin to go along with two healthy babies. Take care, Mandy!