Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Darn you social security!!

Dear Social Security office:

Please tell me who in your incompetent office decided that they would change my birth date sometime after I was born and not inform me. My birth certificate says I was born on the 15th...not the 11th. AND, I mailed you my passport with my birth date and picture with all my proper documents to change my name and for some reason you still need my original birth certificate . However, in order to get a passport you have to have your original birth certificate. Therefore, one can conclude that the date on the passport would be the correct birth date. So thank you for taking forever to get me my documents back without my new social security card with my new name. I definitely have AMPLE time to go wait in your ridiculous long line to get a new social security card, especially since I just started a new job.

Signed,
Not happy with you SS office!

Soooo to recap, I went to the SS office 7 weeks ago and there were literally 62, yes 62, people in front of me in line. So, when I read on the name change form that you could mail in your documents i was psyched! I called the 1-800 # and they informed me that I could in fact mail in my form, my marriage license, and a picture ID and they would send me my new social security card in the mail. I was like YES! Then I said to the man on the phone that the DL office said I had to change my name within 4 days with SS in order to get my DL and asked if mailing it in was going to make a difference, and he said NO! Ohhhhh how wrong he was! In 2 1/2 weeks I hadn't received my new SS card so I called the 1-800 #. They told me they had no record of the name change so to call the local office. So I call the local office. THAT guy tells me that he hates the 1-800# and that they shouldn't even have it! (not a good way to start a conversation with me) He tells me that it takes 8, yes 8 weeks!!!, to get your SS card mailed to you. GREAT! SO now, 7 weeks later, I get a letter in the mail from them with all of my documents (my old SS, marriage license, and passport) informing me that THEY have a different birthdate for me on file and therfore I have to go back in the office with my original birth certificate. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!?! I sent you my damn passport people! In order to get a passport they have to see my original birth certificate. So if I have a passport and it has my correct birthdate, why do you need to see my birth certificate?!?!?!

SO, not only is this a huge pain, I started a new job this last month, I've been doing training in Houston, and I come back to my office in Georgetown next Tuesday for the first time in over 2 weeks. How the heck am I going to tell my supervisor I need to go get this taken care of?! "Um yea, boss....I know I just got back from training for 2 weeks, but I need to go sit in the DL and SS office for most of the day today...sorry" So word to the wise....don't ever listen to anyone if they tell you to mail in your documents so you don't have to wait in line. Be patient, and just wait in line.

End rant.

0 comments: